Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Wang's - Destination XLB in Burnaby

From Wang's Shangh...

I decided to visit Wang's today over lunch hour to update my XLB photos. The last time I was there was a few months ago (I posted my field trip to Crystal Mall with my two daughters here on CH). I had used the camera built-in to my Blackberry. The images were blurry and didn't do the subject matter justice.

I recently picked up a new digital camera (a Fuji Finepix FZ20)....what a huge difference in quality. Not surprising I guess. In any case, I managed to get some great photos and even some video of the XLB and XLB ladies at Wang's. I need to figure out how I am going to post the video, but for now...some photos.

Back on topic...

The XLB was excellent....perhaps equaling or topping my current favorite XLB at Lin Chinese Cuisine. The skin was very thin, the broth was flavourful and the pork ball was light. It only lost points for not having slivered ginger with their black vinegar (though it perhaps didn't really need it). It is also the most inexpensive XLB in the GVA at $3.25 per steamer of five.

I thought these new photos and Wang's by itself warranted a new topic outside of my current XLB Survey thread. They two ladies pictured are the two top XLB makers in the the GVA. The lady on the right has been making XLB for decades. Her rolling and pleating technique was amazing - completely effortless.

From downtown Vancouver, it only takes about 20-25 minutes to get to Crystal Mall on the Skytrain...well within the time constraints of a typical lunch hour. (Considering it only takes about 5 minutes to order and eat these babies).

Pics http://picasaweb.google.com/gu

No comments: